The Mechanics & Architectured Materials Group is based in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at State University of New York - Binghamton. Our primary mission is to discover new architectured materials with superior mechanical performance and seek fundamental understanding of their 'material-structure-property' relations. We are actively working on the theory, design, and additive manufacturing of novel lattice materials, metamaterials, multifunctional composites, and textile materials with promising applications in the engineering and biomedical fields. We are also interested in computational modeling of advanced manufacturing processes to understand the material response and manufacturing process. Our research adopts a synergy approach involving theory, simulation, and experiment.
- 2/26/2019: Congrats to Chris Yoo for getting an internship offer in ANSYS for 6 months. Enjoy your time in Canonsburg.
- 2/23/2019: Our lab hosts a 3D Printing Lab Tour for over 60 visitors from local community.
- 2/5/2019: We got a new toy to play with: Flashforge Hunter DLP printer
- 12/18/2018: Fanghang Deng joins the group as a thesis-based master student. He received a BS degree at Univ Sci Tech of Beijing
- 10/22/2018: Prof. Teng Zhang from Syracuse University visited our lab and gave an impressive presentation on "Wrinkling, crumpling, and folding in elastic thin sheets floating on water surface". Thanks for travelling to Binghamton.
- 9/24/2018: Our first research work done at SUNY Binghamton is published in JMPS. This paper conducted detailed analysis to the symmetry and degeneracy of phonon modes for structures with glide symmetry.
- 9/17/2018: Prof. Zhang attended the IUTAM Symposium on Architectured Material Mechanics in Chicago.
- 9/10/2018: Xin Shu joins the group as a visiting PhD student for two years. He is from Hunan University
- 8/17/2018: Prof. Zhang introduces the 3D printing technology and facilities to two groups of visitors from Bordeaux, France.
- 8/15/2018: Quang Nguyen joins us as the first PhD student of the group. He comes from HCMUT in Vietnam.
- 6/5/2018: Prof. Zhang gave a presentation on symmetry of phonon modes in USNCTAM held in Chicago
- 5/15/2018: Chris Yoo joins the group as an undergrad researcher.
- 4/16/2018: Prof. Zhang's paper on Hyperelastic Ground Cloak is published in JASA.
- 1/15/2018: Jessie Linamen and Jay Zhang join the group as master student researchers. Both of them got BS degree at SUNY Binghamton.
- 1/1/2018: The Mechanics & Architectured Materials lab is launched.